Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Egypt

Egypt has been in the news a lot lately, and I've been thinking how lucky we are to have visited there in 2007.  We went in July with a French tour group, Nouvelles Frontiers and cruised down the Nile.  It was hotter than hades, but the sights were incredible.  Cairo is the filthiest place I've ever seen, and a bathroom I used there at a hotel near the train station is seared in my memory.  It was quite the experience, highlighted by a memorable overnight train trip from Cairo to Luxor.

Here is a link to our pictures from that trip.  My pedestrian understanding is that it is a very complicated political situation there, so I won't get into it more than to say while I do not at all support (and actually fear) the Muslim Brotherhood, I do support democracy as a concept as well as the preservation of innocent lives.