Originally I was going to divide this post into two parts: Part I was about my feelings about and decision to visit Germany, (as a Jew with relatives who were killed in the Holocaust) and Part II was about the visit itself. I've decided not to post Part I on the internet, due to the public nature of this forum, however if you are interested, I am more than happy to email it to you- just let me know.
So, straight onto Part II. Last Saturday was Valentines Day: what could be more romantic than a visit to Germany? But seriously, Trier, Germany is just across the Luxembourg border, about 30 minutes from us. It is the oldest city in Germany, and was the capital of the Roman western territories. It is famous for a gate, the Porta Nigra, which dates from the 3rd Century. In our pictures of the Porta Nigra, you'll see an enthusiastic marching band that was playing popular songs such as Pink's "So What." Quite the juxtaposition.
We also visited Hauptmarket, which according to the Green Guide is "one of the finest old squares in Germany." While the architecture of the Hauptmarket was pretty, mostly it was just very commercial. In our photos, you'll see a short video documenting a coffee shop that also sold underwear. In the middle of the market is a 16th C. fountain, and the Market Cross. We also visited Dom Cathedral, which "is a fine example of Early Romanesque architecture." I believe it also houses some kind of christian relic.
Our visit to Trier would not have been complete without a visit to the birthplace of Karl Marx, which has been converted into a museum. In researching our visit, Raphael found some article claiming that the majority of tourists to the Karl Marx Haus are Chinese. Sure enough, we were pretty much the only people visiting the museum until a large Chinese tour group arrived. According to the article Raph read, the Chinese are such frequent visitors that local shops have sprung up catering exclusively to Chinese tourists. In our pictures, you'll see one such store. Local shops have also been advised not to wrap souvenirs in white paper, as white is the funerary color in China.
Here is a link to our pictures from Trier.
Small anecdote that is just for Beth and Jeff: We went into a shoe store, where I was trying on a pair of shoes. Wouldn't you know that the sales woman promptly offered me a shoehorn, and was quite shocked and dismayed to see that I managed to try on the shoe without the assistance of said shoehorn. Must be a German thing! (For everyone who is not Beth and Jeff- this refers to a German guy we met together, who refused to put on his shoes without a shoehorn. It is an ongoing joke among us.).