| From Buergbrennen |
So according to our invitation from the firefighters, the cross burning was scheduled to begin at 7. We arrived at 6:45 to about 300 people- lots of families and children, loud music, and a grill where men were tending to several varieties of sausages. There was also this big building, which turned out to be a heated temporary structure with long tables and benches at which people could eat their sausages. It wasn't really a tent, because it had solid walls, but it had the same feel. Also, the heating of this tent came from a big old wood burning oven situated in the center of it. In addition to the sausages, they were also serving pea soup, beer, and hot wine.
Raphael bought some hot wine, which definitely had more than wine in it. It was the strongest beverage I've ever tasted- it was like lighter fluid. With orange peels floating on the top. Neither of us drank it.
We then met up with Raphael's coworker, who we invited to join us, and her German boyfriend. The boyfriend explained to us that this same tradition is done all over Germany. I asked him why the symbol was burning a cross- wasn't that considered sacrilegious in such a Catholic country? He said that it wasn't supposed to be a cross, but a scarecrow. (whatever.) he said the tradition symbolized burning all the "evil spirits" from the past year, and everyone throws in all their old junk into the flame, furniture, whatever from last year that they want to get rid of. (I had to bite my tongue not to say, "books... jews...").....
So- the cross burning began with firefighters and children carrying torches towards the cross. Then the torches mysteriously went out. Then about 10 minutes later, fireworks started. (I tried to cover Henry's little ears). Then this spinning firework flame thing started spinning from the middle of the cross. Then the cross was lit, and it proceeded to burn. Then we went out for pizza with Raph's coworker and the german boyfriend.
Here is a link to our pictures of the event.
Fin.
Lesson: you never know where life will take you, because in a million years, I never, ever thought I would attend a function where a cross was burned.