Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Passover

One thing about getting married is that all of the sudden, you have to split holidays- some with your own family, and some with your spouse's family. Actually I suppose it isn't all of a sudden, because presumably this went on to some degree while you were dating. That's how it was with us, anyway. Fortunately for me, (1) holidays with the Cohens can be a lot of fun and (2) I really enjoy my mother in law's cooking.

The thing is, despite the matzah (and it's terrible effect on my digestive system), Passover is one of my favorite holidays, and every year that I haven't spent it with my family (which is at least the last 2 or 3), I miss them terribly. So, although "passover in paris" has a nice ring to it, the truth is that nothing will ever compare to my own grandma's cooking. The good news is that the Raphael's Aunt Michele's singing of "Un sole creator" more than makes up for it. (For my non-jewish readers, a central part of any passover seder is the singing at the end, and Raph's family has some very unique songs). The even better news is that this year, Raph and I got it on video. However, unfortunatley the video is refusing to upload at the moment. I promise I'll keep trying.


Michele wearing plague mask

A special thanks to Annie for making simis this year- (a sweet carrot dish that is typical for many ashkenazi jews, but unheard of for sephardic jews)- a dish that is not part of her traditional repetoire but that she made just for me. It was delicious and a very welcome taste of home for the holidays.

Here are our pictures from the holiday in paris.