Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Amsterdam

Let me start by saying what a great city! And I say this despite the pot and hookers! For some people this probably adds to the charm, but anyone who is reading this knows me well enough to know that that isn't exactly my scene. Let me also start by warning you that this will be a long post, because I have so much to tell you!

My first inkling that this was going to be an awesome trip was when Raph sent me the link to the hotel's website. I previously mentioned that it looked fancy, and yes, it was. What a treat to stay in an American style hotel with a large lobby, large rooms and large TVs. This was not your typical winding stair case, antique furniture, narrow hallways, charming little European hotel. This place reminded me of Vegas. Okay, that's a stretch. But nonetheless I felt like I had hit the jackpot. Okay forget the Vegas image- this place was way more charming and not glitzy at all- it was just large. And had glass elevators that were external to the hotel, so you felt like a window washer riding up. As I mentioned previously, the hotel overlooked the North Sea. The atmosphere there was all calm and beauty. On our second day there, we enjoyed coffee outside.



The next foreshadowing that this would be an awesome trip was when we left Luxembourg, Raph popped in a mix CD that he made with many of my favorite songs! I felt like a girl back in middle school. He even included songs that I know for a fact he doesn't like, though I love (read: Supersonic- a song dating back from my childhood). So sweet! I also have to compliment Raph on his superb and extreme driving. Despite my protests, he drove the entire 4.5 hours there without stopping (don't worry, I kept him company and made sure he was awake). I had my very own personal DJ and chaffeur! :)

Okay onto Amsterdam. On Friday, our first stop was Keukenhof, the flower park located outside of Amsterdam. This place should be on everybody's bucket list. It was just so beautiful there. The flowers were overwhelming. The colors so cheerful and inspiring. I loved it. And not one to disappoint, Raph took some amazing photos. (you'll have to click on our photos below to see them all- here is a brief sample:)




At Keukenhof, there were many people walking around wearing traditional Dutch costumes. It felt like seeing Amish people, but more ornate. It looked like these people had just stepped out of a Vermeer painting or something. Meanwhile, Henry himself was practically a tourist attraction, as he was wearing his cool new sunglasses that his grandma bought him. Literally everyone we passed commented, smiled, or laughed when they saw him. One woman even took his picture (without asking our permission!!)



We then went into Amsterdam where we visited the Anne Frank House. I'll have a separate post on that later this week. In short, it was an eerie but good experience.

Following the Anne Frank house, we made a very brief foray into the red light district. Or not really into it, but around it I would say. As Beth described it to me, it is a very touristy disneyland of sorts for drug users. I think that hits the nail on the head. Raph estimated that every single person there, including the hookers, were not Dutch, and that really, the red light district has very little to do with the Dutch people. Interesting observation. Anyway it was neat to see marijuana leaves growing, and see signs advertising for mushrooms and the like. We saw someone selling "Brazilian energy"... whatever that is. Just seeing all that stuff legally for sale out in the open was a trip unto itself! (pun intended). As for the hookers, what was surprising was how normal they looked. They weren't exceptionally beautiful or thin or sexy. They were all just average looking women in bikinis, beckoning from behind full length windows. To me it was just very odd. Obviously there is something, some appeal, that I'm missing. Or maybe it's not appealing to most. Whatever. Anyway, moving on.

On Saturday, we headed back into Amsterdam and went to the flower market, which was really cool. If only we could import the flower bulbs back to the US! They were so abundant and inexpensive. Someone remind me that when I own a house, I want to plant hundreds of tulips. Some of the bulbs themselves were even beautiful, like the amaryllis bulbs.


We also went to the Van Gogh museum, which was somewhat disappointing, only because it was so ridiculously overcrowded. Besides those two activities, mostly we just enjoyed walking around the city, eating waffles, and taking in Amsterdam's artsy, chill vibe.

I think that about covers it. Here is the link to our photos (there are over 100!) Because there are so many, I organized them for your convenience with all the flower photos at the end. So the Amsterdam photos are first, followed by Keukenhof photos with us in them, followed by only flowers at the end. So if you aren't in the mood or don't have time to see them all, you can skip Raph's photos of flowers at the end- but I do recommend them- some are really great.