Our computer is really dying, rendering the screen nearly black, so I can barely see what I'm typing, so please forgive any typos in advance. I just had to log on to tell you my latest discovery: I realize I've been washing our clothes in fabric softener (instead of detergent) for the past 3 months.
When we first arrived, we bought a genuine detergent called "Ariel" and it worked fine. When it ran out and I went to replace it, I couldn't find the same type at the new supermarket (that I had since discovered, and where I now do the majority of my shopping), so I bought another kind, Soupline. I have been using Soupline since about February.
As you know, Raphael plays soccer with his work, and I don't have to tell you that when he comes home from soccer, his shirts really need to be washed. However every time I was washing them, they never smelled clean, but instead still smelled like... Raph playing soccer. So I started using more and more "detergent," but to no avail. So I finally decided that I need to get a different brand.
At the supermarket today, I looked for my original brand, Ariel, but they only had a huge bottle, which I didn't want to lug home from the store by myself. All the smaller bottles, including the Soupline, were accross the aisle. I chose one of the smaller bottles that I was about to take, and I realized it had that little snuggle bear on it- the one from the fabric softner who laughs like the pillsbury dough boy in the commercials. then I realized, that the side of the aisle with the "smaller" bottles of "detergent" were all really fabric softener.
The funny thing is that I had previously remarked (to myself) how many different scent varieties of laundry detergent they have over here.... orchid, rose, fresh linen, lavander.... but it turns out those were all the fabric softeners!
this story is pretty funny, until you realize that our clothes haven't been actually washed since about January....