Friday, May 8, 2009

Singing, Forest Kindergarden

Today Henry and I went to a "moms and tots sing-a-long" at the American Women's Club of Luxembourg. It wasn't great... a little awkward. Don't think we'll go back anytime soon.

Here is something funny I found in our book, "Family Guide Luxembourg." I came across this when I was looking for the gym that I took Henry to yesterday.

Beschcreche
Something that is very popular abroad, is in Luxembourg like finding a needle in a haystack: a forest kindergarten. The basic idea is that the children are occupied the whole time in the forest -- at every time of year and no matter what the weather. This strengthens not only the physical and mental health, but also the cognitive, motor and social competencies. . . . No lunch is served, but the little nature lovers are served something in between to keep their strength up.

The first thing I'd like to know is where, abroad, is this very popular? My second comment is it is not like this kindergarten exists in Southern Florida or California. It is in Luxembourg, where, as you well know by now, has very cold, damp winters that last well into spring. Guess this falls in line with the neighbor putting her baby to nap in the yard, although, surprisingly, that hasn't happened since the weather was really bad. No, apparently when the weather is actually nice out is not the time to let the baby nap outdoors.

This weekend we're going to Paris.... Have a good weekend everyone!