Monday, June 29, 2009

Budapest

Here is a link to our pictures from Budapest. What can I say about Budapest? It was okay, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if the weather were better. (it rained the entire time). I'm glad I saw the famous synagogue there, which was amazing. I also very much enjoyed our tour of the Jewish ghetto (though there was less to see than I had expected). Some of the architecture in the city is interesting and pretty, although by in large it is very run down, likely due to Communism. Also likely due to Communism, many of the more recent buildings are not pretty at all.

I also enjoyed visiting the famed Budapest bath houses. It would have been a different experience without Henry, since either Raph or I had to hold him, so we could only go in one at a time. Otherwise, and with better weather, I probably would have wanted to stay longer and explore more of the bathing options. Overall, it was an interesting destination, and I'm glad I've seen it, but I wouldn't ever choose to revisit there, or recommend it compared to other potential european destinations. That said, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it least of my travel companions, so I invite them to post comments with a different view. And to be clear, I did have a good time. Just wasn't my favorite city I've ever been to.

Synagogue

At the bath

From Budapest