Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Top 10 Things I'm Going To Miss

We are only here about another month, so I've started to mentally prepare for leaving. I find myself becomming so nostalgic! Here is a list of things I am going to miss.

1. The greenery. I don't think it has come through in our pictures what a green place Luxembourg is. That is probably because we have spent every weekend running off to more interesting destinations, so our pictures are of elsewhere, not of here. But this country is the most fertile place I have ever been. It's like the whole country needs a giant haircut. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but driving anywhere, all you see are overgrown fields, bushes, trees, forests, etc. This is interspersed with other colors like yellow, when the whole country was growing the grain from which canola oil is made. (See this link, which is a blog of another American woman living in Luxembourg, for pictures of these yellow fields.)

2. The Ferraris. And other fancy cars. Now, we live in an apartment paid for by Raph's company; it's nice but it isn't the Ritz. Yet there is a Ferrari in our neighborhood. And a fancy Masarati next door. We live about a mile away from a Bentley dealership. Okay, I won't actually miss them, but being around them so casually makes me feel so... civilized.

3. Related to number one, I will miss the cows, and other farm animals. They are everywhere, and are constantly moving from one location to another. I guess they are put to graze in different pastures on different days? Regardless, one comes face to face with a cow constantly, and I like it.

4. The small town feel. Case in point- last Friday I was waiting for the bus and was treated to the most darling 14 or 15 year old couple making out at the bus stop accross from me (same line, heading in the opposite direction). The very next Tuesday, I was in a completely different part of town, and saw the same couple! Only in Luxembourg do you see the same strangers on a regular basis. This is not unlike my friend from the Little Gym who had "heard of" us before I actually met her. Or the woman who writes the blog that I linked to in number one- I have seen her at the Little Gym. Her daughter is in the class after Henry's. Or that I borrowed a baby toy from someone (Rachel) and then when another woman (Amy) came to my house, and I mentioned that someone leant it to me, Amy guessed it was Rachel "because she had one like that for her boys." Only in Luxembourg does everyone know everyone like this!

5. The local news. See post from April 1.

6. The usage of English in random stores and shops. For example, the names of the cafes here are fab. A few that come to mind are "Cafe Full-Time"; "Cafe New York"; "Cafe Eight Ball"; "Cafe Le Sam's". The other day I saw a wig store called "Sublime," which was written in huge letters, diagonally, across the front window. Just riding the bus past random stores always makes me laugh to myself, and miss my friends who would get it, too. Too many places to take pictures of!

7. The isolation and, for the most part, anonymity. While I've been here, Henry and I have been in our own little bubble together for the majority of the day. It's been a very special time together. I've enjoyed the break from my usually gregarious self.

8. The car trips. This one is a love hate, but we have logged A LOT of kilometers in the car together. I expect this will continue, to a much lesser degree, when we return. (driving to visit our families, etc.)

9. The travel. So much of Europe at our doorstep. Enough said.

10. Paris. Enough said.

Coming soon... things I will not miss!